When you sell your home you're going to have to move. When you move you're going to have to pack. Most of the principles of Staging just mean that you're going to pack up some of your things early. It's a little bit of work, but you're going to have to do it anyway, so let's do it now so you can get top dollar for your property in your marketplace.
In every room... stand at doorway and look at the room through the eyes of a buyer. What do you see? Be tough on yourself: What can you live without while your home is on the market?
Here are some useful tips:
- Most carpets need to be cleaned. Have them professionally cleaned before coming on the market;
- Check all light fixtures. Replace all burned out bulbs. Look for dark hallways and corners, and increase the wattage of bulbs in those areas;
- Repaint and repair cracks on all walls and ceilings;
- Repair or replace broken light switches and switch plates. Clean any dirty areas around them;
- Keep all curtains and blinds open during the day to let in light and views;
- Reduce the number of pillows on couches to zero or two. Remove all afghans, blankets and throws;
- Have your home professionally cleaned, paying a special attention to glass doors, mantels;
- Remove some large (and not necessarily useful) furniture to create more space;
- Remove collections, family photos, and reduce the number of wall hung photos, books on bookshelves;
- Be sensitive to odors because buyers are!
- In general, pack up the little things because they create clutter and they need do be packed anyway, so pack them up now!